Last Updated: March 2016
Welcome to Akira! – A doctor in your pocket.
COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION INCLUDING PHI
Akira provides on-demand access to physicians ("Physicians") and personal health assistants ("PHAs") by secure text and video for telemedicine and telehealth consultations, and related healthcare and administrative support services ("Health Services" and "Support Services", respectively). For the purposes of providing Health Services and Support Services and purposes consistent with those purposes, Akira, Physicians and PHAs collect and use personal information including PHI that is provided by clients during telemedicine and telehealth consultations or uploaded by clients to the Platform to complete and update online profiles and personal health histories maintained in secure client user accounts ("User Account"). Your PHI may include information or records regarding your medical or health history, health status and laboratory testing results, diagnostic images, and other health related information. Your PHI may be contained in medical records, treatment and examination notes, and other health related records maintained by Physicians or PHAs. Neither Akira nor any Physician or PHA collects or uses personal information for any other purpose than providing and facilitating the providing of Health Services and Support Services, and purposes consistent with those purposes, including but not limited to the following:
- Register: You do not have to register in order to browse our Website. However, in order to use the Platform to receive Health Services or Support Services, you will need to register to create a User Account and provide your name, contact information and a password that you select. You will also need to disclose your PHI to Physicians and PHAs in order to enable them to provide appropriate Health Services and Support Services. We use your personal information to identify who you are, communicate with you, and otherwise administer your use of the Platform to receive Health Services or Support Services. We do not knowingly allow individuals under the age 18 to create their own User Accounts that allow access to our Platform. Although individuals under the age of 18 may receive Health Services or Support Services at the discretion of Physicians and PHAs using their parent or legal guardian’s User Account and in the presence of that parent or legal guardian.
- Purchase a Subscription: If you choose to purchase a subscription to receive Health Services or Support Services, we may collect your payment information such as your name, address, phone number, email address, billing address, and payment method information. This information is used to process and maintain your subscription.
- Quality of Care: If you receive Health Services or Support Services, your PHI may be used to improve the quality of Health Services or Support Services provided by Physicians and PHAs through the performance of quality reviews, training staff and students, for business management, quality improvement and similar activities. Your PHI may also similarly be used to create de-identified information such as aggregate statistics relating to the use of Health Services or Support Services.
- Job Applications: If you apply for a job at Akira, you may provide us with certain personal information about yourself (such as that contained in a resume, cover letter, or similar employment-related materials). We use this information for the purpose of processing and responding to your application for current and future career opportunities.
- Contact Us: When you contact us with a comment, question or complaint, you may be asked for information that identifies you (such as your name, address and a telephone number) along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service, service offerings, and our Platform.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may transfer or disclose personal information as follows:
- Circle of Care: If you receive Health Services or Support Services your personal information including your PHI may be disclosed to and among Physicians and PHAs for the purpose of providing or assisting in the provision of Health Services or Support Services to you. Your personal information including your PHI to third parties such as other health professionals, specialists, consultants or pharmacists, pharmacies and laboratories for the purpose of providing or assisting in the provision of Health Services or Support Services to you.
- Service Provider Arrangements: In connection with our Platform, Health Services or Support Services, we may disclose (or otherwise make available) personal information to third parties who provide Health Services or Support Services on our behalf. For example, we may use service providers to process payments, host our website and store information on our behalf. Personal information may be maintained and processed by third party service providers in Canada and may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities as required under the laws of those jurisdictions. Our service providers are given the information they need to perform their designated functions, and we do not authorize them to use or disclose personal information for their own marketing or other purposes. For more information about the way in which our service providers treat personal information, contact us as set out in the "Contact Us" section below.
- Sale of Business: Akira may transfer personal information as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceeding) involving all or part of Akira or as part of a corporate reorganization or other change in corporate control.
- Legal: Akira and our affiliates and service providers may disclose personal information to third parties as required or permitted by applicable law. Where a disclosure of our clients’ information is required by applicable law, we promptly notify our client prior to complying with such requirements (to the extent we are not prohibited from doing so).
We may also disclose personal information where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims and to investigate or prevent actual or suspected loss or harm to persons or property.
INFORMATION ABOUT OUR PLATFORM
As you use the Platform, certain information may be passively collected by Cookies, navigational data like Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) and third party tracking services, including:
- App Activity Information: We may keep track of some of the actions you take on the Application, such as the content of searches you perform on the App.
- Access Device and Browser Information: When you access the App from a computer or other device, we may collect anonymous information from that device, such as your Internet protocol address, browser type, connection speed and access times (collectively, "Anonymous Information").
- Real-Time Location: Certain features of the App use GPS technology to collect real-time information about the location of your device so that the App can connect you to a health care provider who is licensed or authorized to provide services in the province where you are located.
- Mobile Services: We may also collect non-personal information from your mobile device or computer. This information is generally used to help us deliver the most relevant information to you. Examples of information that may be collected and used include how you use the application(s) and information about the type of device or computer you use. In addition, in the event our application(s) crashes on your mobile device we will receive information about your mobile device model software version and device carrier, which allows us to identify and fix bugs and otherwise improve the performance of our application(s)
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION AND PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION (PHI)
We understand that data security is a critical issue for our clients and we are committed to safeguarding the personal information in our custody and under our control.
Akira has implemented a comprehensive information security program that includes written policies and procedures, and security controls. We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards in an effort to protect against unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure of personal information in our custody and control.
Our privacy practices are intended to comply with applicable privacy laws, including without limitation, the Personal Health Information Protection Act (Ontario) ("PHIPA") and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada) ("PIPEDA"). We will maintain the privacy of your personal information including you PHI as required by applicable privacy laws, including without limitation, PHIPA and PIPEDA and the regulations under those Acts.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
If we receive a request from an individual to access or update personal information we have collected on behalf of a particular client, we will direct that individual to the relevant client. We will assist our clients wherever possible in responding to individual access requests.
If you submit personal information via our Platform or otherwise provide us with your personal information, you may request access, updating or correction of your personal information by submitting a written request to our Privacy Officer (see "Contact Us" below). We may request certain personal information for the purposes of verifying your identity.
We may use de-identified information created by us from your personal information without restriction.
LIMITATION ON DELETION
You should report any security violations to us by sending an email to email@example.com.
Please contact us at the address set out below if:
- you wish to access, update, and/or correct inaccuracies in your personal information; or
- you otherwise have a question or complaint about the manner in which we or our service providers treat your personal information.
c/o Privacy Officer